Monday, April 23, 2012

Cocoa n Shea Wave Butter Review

Let me start this off by saying I went alll over the place looking for this product. It was sold out everywhere I looked. I was getting frustrated. Shout out to Texas Beauty Supply online. They shipped the product out to me quickly for a little under 9 bucks.
This product comes from Spartan Brands Wavebuilder natural line. It is labeled as Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter Moisture Revitalizer.
For the price I received 4.8oz of product. The jar didn't seem as full as I expected for some reason. Anytime I purchase a product for my hair I always smell it. Force of habit. Now I wasn't really impressed at all with the smell. Then again how good did I really expect cocoa and shea butter to smell. The closest thing that I can honestly compare the smell to is Play Doh. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't smell horrible by any means, just not the best smelling product on the market.
Ok now how do I categorize this product? Its not exactly what I would call a traditional moisturizer, nor is it a conditioner. If you ask me i'd call it a brushing cream. It serves a great purpose as that. Directions say you can use this during and after brushing. That's just how I use it. It made my hair very easy to brush. I used it several times throughout the day for a week.
This product had a lot of hype built up for me. Mainly internet buzz. I'm a very active member of the 360 wave nation so I know what products are buzzing out there.  I must admit, I am very critical when it comes to hair products. I keep it all the way real on these reviews. There are too many product companies out there that have garbage product and trust and believe I will let you know if I review one.
Ok now can the wave butter live up to the hype? Let's see. It claims to be a moisture revitalizer. I can definitely vouch for that. I like that all you have to do is add a bit of water throughout the day to reactivate the buttery smooth texture which is an excellent consistency for soft brushing. I dabbed a little bit of it in my hair for brushing sessions and it did feel good. Compared to other products I have I would say it doesn't fare well against some of my product line of moisturizers. BUT it does not claim outright to be a moisturizer either so I can respect that. Wavebuilder is known for having quite an extensive product line for all purposes. This is a brushing cream in my opinion. If you go a bit thicker with the application it will lay the hair down nicely as long as it isn't too long. Great for the first few weeks of brushing sessions while wolfing.
I haven't seen how this wave butter will be for me at my 6th to 8th week out. I will mention that in future postings however. I do plan to continue using this product sparingly for a while. When my hair grows longer I really like to use a good moistuirizer so that it moves easier when I brush it. I'm brushing as I write this blog of course and I must admit my hair is very soft. I'm on my 3rd week out. I'm able to comfortably brush with all of my brushes.
Wave butter is very light. That's a plus for those who know how to effectively use product build up. I won't get too deep into to that right now. Check a future posting for sure, I got you. By the time I was ready to wash my hair I was able to have some seerious sessions with a good hard brush. That allows me to start working on depth early on. That works for me because it adds value to my products.
I have to say that I didn't really notice any superior shine as the product claims. I have products that will run circles around it in that department. It says that its non greasy, that's true. It doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy at all. Once in a while my hair did feel dry. Brushing for a while brought back the lustrous feeling. That's why I call this a brushing cream. It feels good when you brush it.
So overall where do we stand with this product? I respect products that live up to their claims. This one does for the most part. I do feel it was well worth what I payed for it, that's always good in my book. I never really saw myself being in the market for a brushing cream. Then again what other brushing creams do they even have on the market? That's pretty good in my opinion as far as innovation of the product area of our community. This can definitely serve a good purpose for me in several stages of my process so I'm satisfied overall.
Every product I review gets rated. 1 to 5 and I will select a product of the year in December.
The Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter Moisture Revitalizer gets 4 out of 5 for this review. Very strong candidate for product of the year so far.
Follow @drmanhattan718 on twitter for daily tips and info.

2 comments:

  1. Premium Wave & Scalp Butter is a great natural Wave Butter you may want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend Crede FR Treatment. It's available from my favorite beauty supply online store :)

    ReplyDelete