Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hot Oil Treatments for Waves

If you're following this blog then you're tryna keep your waves together and I definitely appreciate that. We're all on the same path here, keepin it spinnin. Now everyones waves aren't silky and smooth. I know you have seen some official waves out there. That takes conditioning. Like anything else in life you have your elite level and entry level. Waves do not come overnight, but with proper techniques the process can be very simple.

The key to very soft, silky hair is conditioning and moisture. Plain and simple. The hair goes through quite a lot with some of the products people use to get waves. Not to mention the constant brushing. Some guys don't even use proper technique at all. They brush dry hair. They misuse products. They don't even put forth the necessary effort to get their hair looking and feeling healthy.

A decent session to work on your waves from a fresh cut is 6 to 8 weeks if you're still working on your pattern or depth. Your goal during this session is to properly care for your hair until your next cut and build your pattern with your methods. I will be posting several different methods for various results in the near future.

Before you cut your hair you want to be sure that it is fully conditioned and healthy. Your waves are under there. You want that hair to have been well taken care of during your process (wolfing). An excellent way to ensure maximum conditioning and promote healthier looking hair (silky and smooth) is proper use of hot oil treatments. If you're wavin and your not hot oil treating your hair then you're definitely not tryna reach that elite level with yours. That's fine by me. Some people would rather have raggedy, dry lookin waves and that's completely on them. I prefer to take em to the pool when I get my #2.

There is no real mystery or secret recipe when it comes to hot oil treatments. There are tons of places where you can buy them or you can mix your own. I mix my own because its not hard and I'm Dr. Manhattan so why not? A few table spoons of extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and canola oils is great for a hot oil treatment. This combination provides a great sheen for me. It lasts for days too, even without the use of anything else. That's how powerful a hot oil treatment can be to your grooming regimen.

Application is fairly straight forward. My personal method that works for ME and MY texture hair is a table spoon and a half each of the olive, coconut, and canola oils heated for 20 seconds in a microwave. Eventhough its called a hot oil treatment you don't wanna be foolish and burn your scalp. Warm is fine. It will serve the purpose. You can experiment with different temperatures cause everyone isn't built the same way. I massage the heated oil into my hair and scalp thoroughly. I don't even care about the waves right now, they won't go anywhere. I get it all into my hair and scalp. A quick comb session ensures that all my hair is thoroughly coated with oil. Shower cap for 30 minutes. Sometimes I go the extra mile and hot wrap my head with a towel rather than the shower cap. I don't see that much of a difference to be honest so no need to do that all the time. Shower cap works fine and its simple.

15 to 30 minutes depending on how much spare time you have should be fine. Rinse it out afterwards and apply your moisturizer or brushing cream and soft brush then durag.

I suggest adding hot oil treatment for the last 3 weeks before your cut. Like weeks 6, 7, and 8 of an 8 week session. Once a week is perfect. That gives you 3 sessions of super conditioning right before you cut your waves in. That cut hair will be healthier and shinier than ever and ready for a fresh new process.

Get this method in your life asap for the summer. Thank me later when you're out there blindin em in the sun, naturally!

Follow @Drmanhattan718 on twitter for daily tips and advice

1 comment:

  1. Is it really necessary to wolf if you can get ur hair cut as you always do when first starting off & when should I do my 1st hit oil treatment. ....thanks

    ReplyDelete